In the summertime, I love starting off my day with a refreshing smoothie, and this recipe is most definitely a winner. It’s not super thick, so you won’t be left feeling like you downed an ice cream frappe instead of a smoothie, it’s super simple to make with only five ingredients, and—most importantly—it’s healthy!
Kale is jam-packed with health benefits, but there are few times I’d ever think to eat it or cook with it. Ugggh, I’m staaaarving, I would give anything for some kale right now! No. Never.
But adding it to a smoothie is a perfect way to incorporate this super food into your diet. Just why exactly is kale such a stud? For starters, it’s loaded with:
- Dietary fiber: Dietary fiber promotes regular digestion, curbs overeating and can lower cholesterol.
- Antioxidants: Kale is packed with carotenoids and flavonoids, two antioxidants that protect cells from free radicals and help prevent the formation of cancerous cells.
- Vitamin K, Vitamin A and Vitamin C: Vitamin K strengthens the composition of our bones by aiding in the synthesis of osteocalcin. Vitamin A boosts immunity and is essential to the always-popular reproductive organs. Vitamin C lowers blood pressure, is great for the immune system and helps offset cataracts. And these are just a few of this trio’s countless benefits.
Think of that as the highlight reel of kale’s bragging rights (fancy biology words compliment of HealthDiaries.com). And if you’re turned off by the thought of drinking green liquid, you can take my word for it that you will hardly taste the kale, if at all.
- 1 mango, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 cups kale, loosely chopped
- 1 banana, cut into chunks
- 1 ½ cups pineapple, chopped
- ¼ cup orange juice
I don’t need to write out directions, right? Chop everything up, put it in a blender and blend. It’s not rocket science. Unless you’re using a VitaMix blender—then, it’s rocket engine science.
I’ll be the first to admit that not everything I whip up in the kitchen is a home run, but this smoothie is an out-of-the-park grand slam. Try it immediately. It’s delicious, light, refreshing, and the perfect summer smoothie.
End of infomercial.