You rarely see fat wild animals. It’s really only when humans get involved that our furry friends start packing on the lbs. Since clearly animals are doing something right, I decided to mimic their moves for today’s workout. Plus, I’m a sucker for gimmicks and themes.
As a warning, you’ll be putting weight on your wrists throughout most of this workout. Warm them up with wrist circles and stretches.
(On a side note, am I even conscious in the frog hop picture below?? Probably should have banished that beauty to the Bloopers Album.)
Equipment I Used:
Set your Gymboss Interval Timer for 30 rounds of 30 seconds of work and 10 seconds of rest. You’ll do six rounds of the following sequence:
- Frog Hops: Squat down, legs wide apart, with fingers touching ground. Jump upward like frog and land back in starting deep squat position.
- Spider(man) Lunges: Start in plank position. Bring left foot up towards left hand in a deep, planked lunge position. Alternate sides.
- Crab Kicks: Start on all fours in the crab walk position. Kick one leg up and then the other, alternating at a quick pace. This is meant to get your heart rate up, and in keeping with this fast pace, there should be a “jumping” of the feet as you kick from one foot to the other.
- Bear Crawls: There’s no way to do this exercise and not look like a tool bag, so check your pride at the door. On your hands and feet, in a piked position, walk forward on all-fours. When you run out of room, walk backwards. Bear crawling backwards is more challenging than forwards so make sure to go in both directions during each interval.
- Down Dog Push Ups: Even if you hate yoga as much as I do (I would rather watch paint dry while listening to Ryan Lochte interviews on repeat than take a yoga class), you’re probably familiar with the down dog position. Start in it and then do pushups, lowering the top of your head towards the ground. This is great for strengthening your shoulders.
I’m sad I couldn’t somehow incorporate my favorite animal into this workout, but seeing as snakes don’t have arms or legs, it’s nearly impossible to mimic their signature moves.