Since Lovers’ Day is tomorrow, I figured it was only appropriate to post an ab workout for those pesky love handles. Oftentimes, relationships cause people to gain weight (“love chub,” I believe it’s called), but, then again, being single and spending Valentine’s Day with a pint of Ben & Jerry’s doesn’t do much for the waistline either. So, regardless of if you’re celebrating tomorrow with a significant other or a significant amount of ice cream, getting this ab workout in isn’t going to hurt.
Multiples of Ten Ab Workout Breakdown
You’ll go through the following sequence 3 times. It takes about 20 minutes, depending on your fitness level.
- 10 Windmills using 15-lb kettle bells(each side): Start in a standing position, legs wide, kettle bell pressed above head in left hand. Your left foot should be pointing forward, your right foot pointing out at an angle. Slowly bend down, keeping legs and arm holding kettle bell straight. Touch the ground by your right foot with your right hand, keeping the kettle bell perpendicular to the ground the whole time. Slowly raise up to starting position.
- 20 Windshield Wipers: Lay on back, legs perpendicular to the ground and arms outstretched for support. Lower your legs to the right, twisting your hips, until they are just hovering above the ground. Lift back to starting position and over to the left side. Continue back and forth in a windshield-wiper motion.
- 30-second Side Plank with Knee Tucks (each side): Start in side plank position, right hand on the ground. Crunch your left knee in towards your left elbow, straighten both out, and repeat. Do the same on the other side for 30 seconds.
- 40 Push-Through Pulses: For these, you’ll be holding a crunch position (shoulders off the ground) and pushing your hands through your legs, making small ab contractions (crunch pulses).
- 50 Bicycle Crunches: Lay on back, hands behind head. When you crunch up towards your bent left knee, your right leg should be extended out and not touching the ground. Switch sides, crunching over towards the right with your left leg extended. Continue in a fluid, cycling motion.
- 60-second Elbow Plank: Hold an elbow plank for 60 seconds. Keep body straight; resist the urge to lift that butt in the air.
For the record, yes, I realize that the above graphic says “powers” of ten instead of “multiples” and that 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60 are NOT, in fact, powers of ten. I’m having major anxiety about it but I already flattened the image in photoshop and laziness trumps anxiety, so we’re stuck with my mathematical faux pas.
Do you guys have any fun plans for Valentine’s Day tomorrow?