“20 minutes of burpees? Go eff yourself, Nicole.”
I know, 20 minutes of burpees may sound like torture, but I promise it’s worth it. This workout gets your heart rate up right away and keeps it there throughout the 20 minutes. I thought the burpees with knee tuck jumps were definitely the hardest.
20-Minute Burpee Workout
Set your Gymboss Interval Timer for 20 rounds of 40 seconds of work and 20 seconds of rest. You’ll go through the following sequence four times.
- Burpees with Push Ups: Regular burpee, but do a push up at the bottom. The sequence will go: squat down, hands on mat, jump back into plank position, push up, jump feet back up to hands, stand up into squat position, jump up with arms overhead.
- Side Burpee with Knee Crunch (right): Squat down, hands on mat, jump both feet out laterally to the right, crunch top (right) knee up towards elbow, jump both feet back in towards hands, stand up into squat position, jump up with arms overhead.
- Side Burpee with Knee Crunch (left)
- Burpee with Knee Tuck Jump: Regular burpee, only instead of jumping straight up with arms overhead, jump up, tucking your knees up mid-air to touch your hands. Sequence looks like this: squat down, hands on mat, jump feet back into plank position, jump feet back up towards hands into a deep squat position, power up, tucking knees to slap hands mid-air, land back in that deep squat position.
- Alternating One-Leg Burpees with Two-Foot Lateral Jump: This is a regular burpee, except you do it on one foot and jump laterally instead of up. Sequence looks like this: stand on one foot, squat down, hands on ground, jump one foot back into plank position (keeping other foot raised), jump foot back up towards hands, stand up into squat position, put raised foot back on ground and jump (with both feet) to the side, as if you’re jumping laterally over an object. When you land, do the same thing, but alternate the leg which you do it on, and when it comes time to jump, jump laterally in the other direction.
Right after the marathon bombings, I went a little overboard with purchasing t-shirts that benefited the One Fund, and the Rue La La top I’m wearing in this post is exhibit 1 of 750,000.