Since the plank workout I posted last year was such a big hit, I thought a side plank workout would be a nice addition to this summer’s lineup. As with all plank workouts, I find that my upper body starts to burn and give out long before my abs. This one KILLED my arms. And although it makes for pretty pictures, I actually wouldn’t necessarily recommend doing this one on the beach—the uneven, loose sand was brutal on my wrists.
Side Plank Workout
You’ll do each move for 30 seconds. When you’ve gone through the sequence, rest for 30 seconds, then repeat twice more for a total of three rounds. So that I didn’t have to look at the clock, I just set my Gymboss Interval Timer for 26 rounds of 30 seconds of work and 0 seconds of rest.
- Side Plank Kicks (right): In plank position, kick your top leg straight out, bringing your free hand out to meet it. Stretch both back out, reaching hand over head. Repeat.
- Side Plank Kicks (left)
- Side Plank Lifts with Knee Crunch (right): Start in side plank position, right hand on the ground. Crunch your left knee in towards your left elbow, straighten both out, and repeat.
- Side Plank Lifts with Knee Crunch (left)
- Weighted Side Plank Twists (right): I used an 8-lb weight for these, but by the last round my arms were so dead that I wished I’d used a 0-lb weight. Start in a side plank position holding a weight in your outstretched arm parallel to the ground. Twist your body in as if your torso were turning into a regular plank position, and as you do so, bring the weight in across your rib cage, crunching as if hugging yourself.
- Weighted Side Plank Twists (left)
- Side elbow plank (right): A side plank on your—wait for it, wait for it…elbow.
- Side elbow plank (left)
If you follow me on Instagram, you’ve already seen this photo, but I’ll end the post with my impressive wingspan at sunset: