You may have noticed in Wednesday’s workout that I wasn’t wearing my usual neon green sneakers. While I love those shoes for running, they are not at all made for lateral movements and all the leaping, side planking, etc., etc. that I do in the workouts I post here. So I was beyond excited when Ryka sent me their Dynamic training sneaker.
As soon as they came in the mail, I gave them the workout test, followed immediately by the run-errands-on-foot-all-over-the-city-of-Boston test, and they passed with flying colors—they’re super comfortable! The insole, which was designed with injury-prevention in mind, is also noticeably cushioning. And most importantly to me (because I have my priorities straight), the color choices are fun—in my opinion, the bolder the better.
So now that I’ve formally introduced you to my new sneaks, on to today’s workout…
3-Round Kettlebell Workout
Equipment I Used:
- 10-lb kettlebell
- 15-lb kettlebell
- 20-lb kettlebell
- Exercise mat
You’ll go through the following sequence of exercises three times. Depending on your fitness level, it’ll take you about 20 minutes.
- 3 Turkish Get-Ups (each side): For a step-by-step guide to executing this challenging (and awesome!) move, CLICK HERE. I use a 15-lb bell for these.
- 20 Swing Jumps: This is a regular kettlebell swing, except you’ll jump both feet up when the bell is at the top of your swing. You’ll start with knees slightly bent and butt back and swing the bell back through your legs. Using a hip thrust/powerful leg drive, swing the kettlebell up to just above eye-level and jump a couple inches off the ground. I used a 20-lb bell, which is a little lighter than I’d use to do a regular two-hand swing.
- 50 Russian Twists: Sit with legs elevated, leaning slightly backwards, and twist from right to left, bringing kettlebell from one side of your body to the other. I used a 15-lb bell.
- 10 Lateral Lunge Loops (each side): Begin with kettlebell in your right hand and lunge out to the side onto your left leg, butt back. As you lunge out, gently swing the kettlebell around that left leg, passing it off to your right hand as you continue to circle it around that leg. Pass it back off to the right hand as you push off that left leg and return back to the starting position. I used a 15-lb bell (although I wished I’d upped it to 20 for more of a challenge…next time).
- 10 Side Plank Rows with Leg Lifts (each side): Start in a side plank position on your right hand/foot, with left hand holding kettlebell on the ground in front. Row that kettlebell by pulling your left elbow to the ceiling. As you do, raise your left leg. Slowly lower both, returning to starting position. I used a 10-lb bell.
Hope you all have some fun weekend plans! I’m going to the Jay-Z & JT concert at Fenway Park on Saturday and couldn’t be more excited—mostly because if Jay-Z is there, then there just might be a chance that Beyonce is in the vicinity. I imagine her presence is comparable to that of Jesus, Santa Claus and all higher powers in that I won’t even have to see her with my own eyes to know that she’s there.