Obama and I decided to spend the week on the Vineyard (because we’re tight like that), and while digging through my childhood bedroom closet, I found a set of resistance bands. I also happened to be brainstorming ways to workout that wouldn’t require me to change out of my bikini top and put on a sports bra (because I’m lazy like that). Boom. Resistance band interval workout was born.
But before I get to explaining this routine, let me direct your attention to my bum pants. When the awesome folks at Live Love Dream hooked me up with some of their workout clothes, I was intrigued—LLD is Aeropostale’s line of activewear, and while Aero used to be MY JAM in high school, I haven’t shopped there since. Well, turns out they have some adorable styles and at super affordable prices (we’re talking shorts on sale for like $10 here, people!). The shorts I wore in last week’s boot camp workout are also LLD—check ‘em out!
Resistance Band Interval Workout
Like I mentioned earlier, the goal of this workout was to not have to put on a sports bra. The exercises will burn, but there’s no jumping around or high-intensity cardio here. Set your Gymboss Interval Timer for 30 rounds of 40 seconds of work and 20 seconds of rest. You’ll go through the following sequence 6 times.
- Traveling Squat: Wrap the resistance band around your thighs (over your quads, cross under your hamstrings and grab the ends, holding them tight). Squat down, pushing that weight back into your butt so that your knees don’t stick out over your toes. Staying down low in that squat, step your left foot out to the side. Bring your right foot in to meet it. This should be a slow and controlled movement; don’t let the resistance band snap that right leg in. Repeat this, taking three steps in this direction. Then take three steps in the opposite direction, leading with your right foot.
- Leg Extension Spreads: Wrap band over quads and under hamstrings, and hold onto the ends. Keep back straight, chest lifted, and raise legs about 1 foot off the floor. Push legs out to the sides and then back in, keeping legs off the ground the whole time. For an easier version, bend your knees (keeping feet off the ground).
- Reaching Rear Row (alternate arms each round): Start in a lunge position with the band underneath your front foot, held in your opposite hand. As you rise out of the lunge, row the band back, pulling it across your body. Repeat, staying on the same side for the whole interval. During the second round of going through these exercises, switch sides.
- Resistance Band Push-Ups: Wrap the band around your shoulders, pinning the ends to the floor with each hand. Do push ups.
- Leg Extension Side Crunches: Loop the band around one foot and pin the ends under your hand, getting on all fours. With knee bent, lift your leg like you’re a dog about to pee on a fire hydrant. Extend your leg back and up, keeping foot flexed so that band stays put. Then bring your knee in, crunching it towards your rib. Repeat, staying on the same side for the whole interval. During the second round of going through these exercises, switch sides.
Have a great weekend, everyone!