I’ve mentioned the Lagree Method of Pilates on the blog a few times, and even had a chance to give one reader free classes at a local Boston studio. It’s one of my favorite workouts, and uses Megaformer machines to work one muscle group to exhaustion before moving onto the next. The only problem? Classes are expensive. We’re talking $20-$30 per class. And some weeks, I’d just rather spend that money on shoes and workout for free at home.
This bodyweight workout was inspired by the Lagree Method in that you’ll work one muscle group continuously before moving onto the next. It only takes 20 minutes, but you’ll really feel the burn! You’ll start with your right leg/glute, move onto abs, then your left leg/glute, and finish with arms. It’s obviously a lot shorter than a normal Lagree Method class, and it doesn’t have the advantage of the Megaformer machines, but I thought it was a great at-home substitute. I realize there are a lot of different exercises here, but if you print off the descriptions below and keep it by you as you go through the workout, it’s not too difficult to follow along.
- 60 seconds Forward-Backward Lunge: Keeping you right foot firmly planted, you’ll push off your left foot to go from a left-foot-in-front lunge, up and back into a left-foot-in-back lunge. Continue back and forth, making sure those knees stay at 90 degrees in the lunge.
- 30 seconds Hold Lunge & Pulse: With your right foot in front, stay down in that lunge position and pulse up and down.
- 60 seconds Curtsey Side Lunge: Bring your left foot behind your right and to the side, bending your knees down into a lunge position (same motion as a curtsey). Make sure that right knee doesn’t extend out passed your right ankle. Stand up, swinging that left foot out to the side, and repeat.
- 30 seconds Hold Down in Curtsey: Hold the curtsey lunge.
- 60 seconds Sumo Squat with Leg Lift: Squat down, legs wide apart and butt back. Shift your weight to your left leg and kick your right leg straight out to the side, staying low the hold time. Repeat.
- 60 seconds One-Legged Wall Sit: Sit against a wall (or tree, in this case) as if you’re in an invisible chair; knees bent at 90 degrees. Cross your left foot over your right knee so that all your weight is in that right leg.
- 30 seconds Table Plank Tucks: Get on all fours in a table position and then lift your knees a couple inches off the ground. Keeping them off the ground the whole time, alternate tucking one knee up towards your chest and then the other. It’s a small, controlled contraction.
- 30 seconds Plank Knee Tucks: In a plank position, bring one knee into your chest and then the other. Continue to alternate.
- 30 seconds Plank
- 30 seconds Side Plank (right)
- 30 seconds Side Plank Tucks (right): Start in side plank position, right hand on the ground. Crunch your left knee in towards your left elbow, straighten both out, and repeat.
- 30 seconds Side Plank (left)
- 30 seconds Side Plank Tucks (left)
- 60 seconds Leg Lifts: Lay on back with hands under your butt or by your side for support. Lift legs straight up, perpendicular to the ground and then lower until they are just a couple inches off the ground. Legs should stay straight the whole time, and should never come to rest on the ground.
- 30 seconds Hold Legs Hovering: Hold your legs about 6 inches off the ground, laying on your back with hands under your bum for support.
- 30 seconds Side V Crunches (right): Start laying on your side with bottom arm stretched outwards on the ground for support. Do a side crunch, lifting your legs up and crunching them in to meet your elbow and raised torso.
- 30 seconds Side V Crunches (left)
- 30 seconds Bicycle Crunch: Lay on back, hands behind head. When you crunch up towards your bent left knee, your right leg should be extended out and not touching the ground. Switch sides, crunching over towards the right with your left leg extended. Continue in a fluid, cycling motion.
- 30 seconds Windshield Wiper: Lay on back, legs perpendicular to the ground and arms outstretched for support. Lower your legs to the right, twisting your hips, until they are just hovering above the ground. Lift back to starting position and over to the left side. Continue back and forth in a windshield-wiper motion.
See right leg for descriptions.
- 60 seconds Forward-Backward Lunge
- 30 seconds Hold Lunge & Pulse
- 60 seconds Curtsey Side Lunge
- 30 seconds Hold Down in Curtsey
- 60 seconds Sumo Squat with Leg Lift
- 60 seconds One-Legged Wall Sit
- 60 seconds One Arm Side Push-Ups (right): Lay on your left side, left arm hugging your torso, and right hand planted firmly on the ground in front of you. Push your upper body off the ground with that right arm, then slowly lower without ever fully coming to rest back on the ground. Continue.
- 60 seconds One Arm Side Push-Ups (left)
- 30 seconds Push-Ups
- 30 seconds Hold Lowered Push-Up Position
Have you tried Lagree Fitness before?