I wanted to experiment with an apple-flavored hummus to serve on Thanksgiving, and by swapping tahini for almond butter and adding in some fall spices, I managed to come up with a light, refreshing version of an apple pie.
A light, refreshing twist on the classic dessert. Perfect for dipping and as a sandwich spread.
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas, rinsed and blotted dry
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored & chopped (I used Macintosh)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Put everything in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Serve with apple slices, baby carrots or pita chips. Or use as a sandwich spread.
Happy hum(mus)p day!