The temperature in Boston is finally out of the single digits and teens! We’ve been steadily in the high 30’s the last few days (even dipped into the FIFTIES on Sunday), and so as far as I’m concerned, it’s time for some tropical-inspired food. Just go with it…
- 2 cups packed kale (stems removed)
- 1 frozen pack acai (I use Sambazon’s unsweetened smoothie packs)
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 1 banana
- 1 heaping cup pineapple chunks
- ¼ cup granola (I used Nature’s Path Coconut Chia)
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- Shredded coconut
- ½ tsp spirulina powder (optional)
- Blend together the kale, acai, cocnut milk, ½ the banana, pineapple (save a few chunks for topping), hemp seeds and spirulina.
- Transfer from blender into a bowl. Top with the remaining ½ banana (sliced), pineapple chunks and granola. Sprinkle with shredded coconut.
I ate this for breakfast the other day and loved it! I like making green acai bowls because when they’re 100% fruit-based, I sometimes find them too sweet. I’ve been adding a little bit of spirulina powder to all my green smoothies and acai bowls lately because it’s packed with iron and protein and, as an added bonus, turns everything a brilliant shade of green. That comes in particularly handy when you’re constantly taking pictures of your food… 🙂