Remember the Towel Workout I posted last year? Despite the tragic photography lighting, it was a huge hit around the interwebs, and I think it’s high time to whip out the old dishrag again. And lucky you, this one is (in my opinion) even harder than the first. I was really feeling the burn.
I pretty much just invented these moves on the fly, but if you’ve seen them before just humor me and pretend I’m the mad scientist of ghetto-rigging household items into workout equipment.
Tabata Towel Workout
Equipment I Used:
- Dish towel (if you have carpeted floors, use a DVD case)
- Gymboss Interval Timer
- Exercise mat
Set an interval timer for 8 rounds of 20 seconds of work and 10 seconds of rest. You’ll do the same exercise all 8 rounds (4 minutes total) before moving onto the next exercise. The whole workout takes 20 minutes.
- Dancing One-Leg Squat (right): Squat down, all the weight on your right leg, towel under your left toes (keep left heel lifted throughout this exercise). Slide your left leg out to the side, keeping weight on the right. Slide it back in to the starting position, then slide it out in back of you as far as you can, and again back to starting position. Essentially, you’re holding a one-leg squat on the right, weight never shifting more than lightly to your left leg.
- Dancing One-Leg Squat (left)
- Side-to-Side Sliding Planks: Start in a plank with the towel under both feet. Slide both feet up to the right side, back to starting plank position, and then up to the left side. Think about tracing a V shape with your feet.
- Triceps Scissor Push Ups (alternate arms each round): I did these from my knees but if you’re a total animal try them from your feet. Start in pushup position with towel under one hand. Slide the towel hand out, keeping arm straight. As you do, lower into a triceps pushup on the other hand (sending the elbow back and close to your body, not out. Push up, sliding other hand back in under your shoulders. Repeat. You’ll switch arms during the next interval (so it comes out to 4 rounds on the right, 4 rounds on the left).
- Boat Pose Heel Sliders: Sit on your tailbone, leaning torso back at an angle engaging your abs. Hold arms straight out in front of you. With heels lightly on the towel, slide your legs out straight and then bend knees in towards chest, sliding heels in towards butt. The challenge is to not lift your heels off the ground or rock your torso (you’ll want to lean back and sit forward to counter the motion of your legs—resist it!).
WEARING | shoes: Nike Free +3 // capris: c/o Puma // tank: Juicy Couture
Granted, my upper body strength leaves a lot to be desired, but the triceps scissor pushups were BRUTAL. In a good way.
What’s the weirdest item you’ve used as workout “equipment”?