When I was out in Colorado a couple months ago, a restaurant we ate at had soup on the menu that was served with popcorn instead of croutons or crackers. Maybe this is a common thing and I’m just behind the times, but it was a total why didn’t I think of that?? moment.
Popcorn (real popcorn—not movie popcorn slathered in butter or caramel chocolate popcorn or cheese-covered popcorn) is a low-calorie snack option, and its texture makes it pretty flippin’ perfect as a healthy soup topping (especially if you’re gluten-free!). In a recent post, I mentioned that Clean, Lean & Sexy had sent me some of their healthy snacks to try out, and I couldn’t wait to put their popcorn to use.
I got annihilated by allergies this past week (I’ve never had them this bad before—it was awful!), and my cold-like symptoms were craving some good ol’ tomato soup. This one is ridiculously easy to make (gotta love crock pots!) and vegan.
A vegan tomato soup made in the crock pot and topped with popcorn.
- 2lbs fresh Roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped (= about 6-7 large ones)
- ¼ cup packed fresh basil
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 small-medium onion, diced
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups almond milk
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- Popcorn (or topping of choice)
- Over medium heat, sauté onions, celery and carrots in a little extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper until onions are translucent (6-7 minutes).
- Dump everything except the almond milk and popcorn into a crock pot, give it a couple stirs, and cook on low for 5 hours.
- Put it in a blender for a couple minutes until smooth (do this in batches).
- Stir in the almond milk.
- Top with popcorn and enjoy!
This is a thin(ner) soup. If you prefer your soup thick, leave out 1 cup veggie broth and 1 cup almond milk.
Have you ever used popcorn as a soup topping?
P.S. Sorry for the lack of blog posts this week! Life keeps getting in the way, and I figure it’s better to just prepare awesome blog posts for next week rather than throw up a bunch of quickie junk posts this week.