Today’s ab workout is inspired by the megaformer class I teach at Btone. In Lagree Fitness, you work one muscle group at a time before moving onto the next, so when designing an ab sequence, you want to group ab exercises together, right oblique exercises together, and left oblique exercises together. You also stay on each ab exercise for 60 seconds (most of the time), which is what I’ve done here.
Ok, I guess those are pretty much the only similarities haha. Regardless, this workout is quick, challenging, and requires no equipment. You can pair it with cardio (maybe do it before or after a long run), or do it on its own when you’re short on time and want to fire up your core muscles.
Quick Bodyweight Ab Workout
Equipment I Used:
- Exercise mat
- Gymboss Interval Timer (any timer or stopwatch will do!)
You’ll do each exercise for a minute before moving directly into the next (no resting between!). I used my Gymboss Interval Timer and set the “work” interval for 60 seconds and the “rest” interval for 0 seconds so that it would beep every minute, signaling me to switch exercises. The workout targets abs, right oblique, left oblique, abs, in that order. This workout will take you 13 minutes.
- 1 Plank Jump 5 Plank Jacks: Start in a plank position. Jump both feet up towards your hands and then back into plank position. Jump feet out wide to the sides and back in (like a horizontal jumping jack) 5 times. Continue the sequence.
- Knee Hug Full-Body Crunches:Start laying on your back, legs extended and hovering, arms outstretched overhead (shoulders lifted off ground, core engaged). Do a full body crunch, lifting your torso and crunching in your knees so that you can hug them. Extend back out, lowering onto back.
- Boat Pose:If you practice yoga, you’re probably familiar with boat pose. Sit in a “V” pose with legs held straight up at about a 45-degree angle with the ground and arms out straight. If it’s too difficult to keep your legs straight, bend them at the knee for Half Boat Pose.
- Side V Crunches RIGHT:Start laying on your side with bottom arm stretched outwards on the ground for support. Do a side crunch, lifting your legs up and crunching them in to meet your elbow and raised torso.
- Side Plank RIGHT
- Alternating Crossbody Knee Tucks: Start in a plank position. Bring your left knee to touch the right elbow, then your right knee to touch the left elbow. Make contact!
- Side Plank LEFT
- Side V Crunches LEFT
- Boat Pose
- Knee Hug Full-Body Crunches
- 1 Plank Jump 5 Plank Jacks
WEARING | leggings: c/o Ellie (use code nicoleperr20 to get 20% off your first order!) / tank: Lululemon
Can you get through the entire 13 minutes without taking a break? Let me know in the comments!