Stupid-Easy Slow Cooker Shredded Mexican Chicken

Stupid-Easy Slow Cooker Shredded Mexican Chicken - so juicy and flavorful! Perfect for meal preppingI mentioned this recipe in passing in another post, but it deserves its own as well in case anyone missed it. In general, I don’t like meat, but even I will find myself standing over the crock pot eating this easy slow cooker shredded Mexican chicken by the forkful because it’s so juicy and flavorful.

This “recipe” really just involves you dumping three ingredients into a slow cooker and then getting on with your day. It’s a food prepper’s dream! I’ll make a big batch at the start of the week and then have it on hand for taco salads, Mexican-flavored quinoa bowls, spicy breakfast skillets—the list goes on. Stupid-Easy Slow Cooker Shredded Mexican Chicken - so juicy and flavorful! Perfect for meal prepping

Stupid-Easy Slow Cooker Shredded Mexican Chicken

Stupid-Easy Slow Cooker Shredded Mexican Chicken

Ingredients

• 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, depending on how much meat you want (4-6 halves or 2-3 full breasts, to avoid confusion)
  • 1 can salsa of your choice (any salsa you want! I’ve used everything from El Paso to pineapple salsa made fresh on site at Whole Foods)
  • 1 packet taco seasoning (or 1 ½ - 2 tbsp of your own – here’s my favorite DIY recipe)

Instructions

1. Place everything in the crock pot and mix it up good so that the chicken is coated in the salsa/spices. I usually pat the chicken breasts down with a paper towel before putting them in the slow cooker because meat slime totally grosses me out.
  2. Cook on high for 5-6 hours.
  3. Use a fork to shred the chicken (it should do so easily).

The obvious use for this juicy Mexican flavored chicken is in tacos, fajitas, burritos and nachos. I also love making flavorful Buddha bowls with it, like I did with these Shredded Mexican Chicken & Corn Quinoa Bowls. This is one of those simple, staple recipes you can return to week after week whether you’re a college student cooking on a budget or a busy mom trying to prepare dinner for the family ahead of time.

Pin this puppy now and try out the recipe next time you meal prep for the week!

signature

Comments

1. Okay, YUM. And so easy! I think I have to go rescue my slow cooker from my parents’ house now!

2. Susie B. says:

I actually made this last night for me and my husband! I threw in some chopped bell pepper and onion as well. And then once it was finished, I took a casserole dish and layered it with corn tortillas and the chicken mixture, poured a little extra salsa on the top, and then baked it! It was great!

3. Can you share more about “Mexican-flavored quinoa bowls” – that sounds great – I’d like to have a recipe for that!

4. I make this same thing at least once a week. Also delicious with a can of black beans added in 🙂

5. so easy! but I love having stuff like this on hand throughout the week for quickie meals.

6. yes- this will be happening asap! looks so delicious!

7. I think all will like this

8. This looks really yummy, I think my boyfriend would love it! x

9. I have been making this recipe for over a year for any potlucks we attend. It is always a hit and no matter how much I make it is gone.

10. How much salsa are you adding to the mix? our super markets sell it in jars not cans so not sure how much you are using.

11. Does the chicken have to be thawed?

12. Planning my grocery shopping for later and immediately thought of this recipe to make for this week’s meal prep! Sounds SO good and very versatile. 🙂 Can’t wait to make it (and even better – EAT IT)!

13. when you say halves of 2-3 do you mean long ways so they’re thinner or halved? Few new to cooking/crock potting..

14. I’m making this right now!! I even grabbed some pineapple salsa from the store, going to make Chicken Taquitos!

15. Do you follow the taco seasoning directions on water? Or is there any liquid that goes in here?

16. jessica prieve says:

How many does this feed?

17. Patrick says:

I usually only cook beef in the slow cooker. I was always taught to pan sear the meat first (I thought to prevent bacteria or something) should this be done with chicken aswell?

18. Yes! you can make this using frozen chicken. It needs a little more spices at the end, but otherwise it’s the same. I’ve been making this for years!

19. Jessica says:

I threw this together this morning before a long day if work. I chopped up some onion and garlic along side of your homemade taco seasoning. Then I added some fresh lime juice, black beans, and corn for some extra flavor. When I got home I couldn’t wait to try this chicken on some soft shell tacos. It was absolutely delicious! My husband said how good the chicken was at least three times! Thanks for sharing the recipe – I’ll be making it often!

20. How many people does this recipe feed for comfortably?

21. About how many people would 4 half breasts feed? If you use 6, do you increase the amount of salsa and seasoning? I am doing a taco bar with both beef and this chicken for about 12 people. I was thinking of 3 lbs of each kind of meat, but wasn’t sure how many half breasts this would equal.

22. Found this recipe on Pinterest. Just made it tonight and it’s so yummy!! Only thing I did different was I cooked it for 6 hours on low, instead of high. Came out so good, and my husband loves it too!

23. Elizabeth says:

Can I double this? How many people does this serve? What about using chicken thighs?

24. Just made this for dinner tonight and it was a huge hit! Even my husband and kids who are very picky loved it. It was so quick and easy. I will definitely make this again and again!

25. These are so easy and amazing! By far the best chicken tacos we have had and yes stupid easy! 🙂

26. Is this really 5-6 hours on HIGH? That seems like a long time for thawed chicken

27. How many will this serve ? I want to make it for a surprise party with May 30-40 people

28. Amy Rodriguez says:

This chicken was delicious. I’m mexican american and I was skeptical about using a bottled salsa but it was perfect. The spices recipe was great. I may make it and use it in other foods. Thanks.

29. Jennifer says:

I didn’t have salsa so I threw in some diced tomatoes onion and black beans added some chicken broth and spices. Let’s pray it comes out tasty!!

30. Just made this today…This is THE best recipe!

31. How many pounds of chicken is this?

32. Jennifer says:

How many does this feed?

33. This is a great recipe! Next time I’m going to add some fresh peppers to spice it up a little. My boyfriend loved it and we have plenty left over to use for other recipes too! I highly recommend this to anyone who loves tacos!

34. Rowan Tones says:

Author: a “buddha bowl” implies that it’s vegetarian.

35. Can you use salsa Verde homemade…

36. Amber schwing says:

when you made the tacos what toppings would you add

Share Your Thoughts: