I eat lunch at bgood at least once a week, and their Citrus & Avocado Salad is one of my favorites. Realizing I had all the ingredients to make my own, I put together this at-home version for dinner the other night and loved how it turned out! It’s not an exact replica (I have no clue how bgood makes their dressing) and I made a few ingredient swaps (add spinach & quinoa!), but other than that it’s pretty spot-on.
- 2 big handfuls of baby spinach (or green of your choice)
- 1/2 grapefruit, peeled and split into pieces
- 1/2 orange, peeled and split into pieces
- 1/2 avocado
- Small handful of pistachios
- Goat cheese for topping
- Optional: Heap of cooked quinoa (1/4 c uncooked is all you'll need for one salad)
- 1/3 c extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 c lemon juice
- 1/4 c fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Optional: 1/4 tsp lemon zest
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients and set aside. If possible, prepare the dressing ahead of time and store in the refrigerator. The flavors are so much more pronounced if the ingredients soak together for a few hours/overnight.
- If you're going to add quinoa for a more filling salad, cook following package directions. In general though, you use a 3:2 water-to-uncooked quinoa ratio on the stove. Bring water to a boil, add quinoa, lower to a simmer until cooked and fluffy (12-15 mins).
- For the grapefruit and orange, peel, separate the pieces and then remove as much of the white pith and clear casing as possible. Don't lose sleep over getting it all off--sometimes it's a total pain.
- Assemble your salad ingredients, top with desired amount of dressing and enjoy!
The flavor combos in this salad just scream “summer!” If you want a light lunch or to eat this as a side dish, the quinoa isn’t necessary. If you’re eating this for dinner, I recommend adding it (or brown rice would be good, too).
Any other bgood fans out there? What’s your favorite menu item?