This crunchy apple salad wrap is inspired by a recipe my Mimi made for me recently. Her secret ingredient was instant pudding so I guess we can call mine the “lightened up but way less fun” version. 😉 I like to eat it in wrap form, but the apple salad makes for a great side dish on its own as well. Save it for the summer and whip up a big bowl to serve guests at a cookout or picnic!
- 4 apples*
- 1/2 cup grapes (halved)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (I use non-dairy Kite Hill, but you could use Greek or regular)
- 1/2 cup walnuts (chopped)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice (juice from one lemon)
- Core and chop the apples. For wraps, I dice them into pretty small pieces. For salads I chop them them a little larger. Toss the apple pieces in a large mixing bowl with the lemon juice (this will prevent browning).
- Stir the maple syrup into the yogurt.
- Add all ingredients (except the lettuce and wraps) into the bowl with the apples and mix until thoroughly coated. As-is this salad makes for a great side dish. If you're eating it as a wrap...
- Lightly toast a wrap and layer in lettuce and the apple salad. Roll up and enjoy!
*When I'm eating this as a side salad, I almost always go with 3 Fuji or Gala apples and then 1 Granny Smith. When I eat it in wrap form, sometimes I like softer apples though and will use Cortland or McIntosh even though they're not as delicious as Fuji/Gala (in my opinion). **You can get creative with what you put in your wrap. Sharp cheddar cheese, roasted chicken, tomatoes, etc.
As you can see above, I used dairy-free yogurt for this recipe, but Greek yogurt or regular plain yogurt work just the same. I also kept the crunchy apple salad wrap pretty simple but you can get creative with what you add in there. Sharp cheddar cheese, roasted chicken, tomatoes, etc.
And before I sign off for today, I’ll leave you with some other yummy apple recipes from the archives:
- Apple Feta Quinoa Salad
- Sweet Potato Hummus on Toast with Apples & Avocado
- Apple Banana Quinoa Breakfast Cups
Enjoy the rest of your Wednesday!