Apple Banana Quinoa Breakfast Cups

Apple Banana Quinoa Breakfast CupsThis post is possessed! It published itself yesterday, then deleted itself, then rescheduled itself to be posted in 2015. What the what?? Let’s try this again…

Normally, when bananas are about to go bad, I’ll peel them, slice ‘em up, and put them in a Ziploc bag in the freezer to use in smoothies. But lately my smoothie fuel bag has turned into bags, and I needed to find another way to prevent my browning bananas from going to waste. Apple Banana Quinoa Breakfast Cups Apple Banana Quinoa Breakfast Cups

These quinoa breakfast cups are delicious and filling—each one is dense, so it only takes one (or, ok, maybe two) to satisfy morning hunger. You can eat them like a muffin, or break one up in a little bit of warm almond milk and eat it like oatmeal (I did this one morning and loved it!).Apple Banana Quinoa Breakfast Cups

Apple Banana Quinoa Breakfast Cups

Yield: 12

Apple Banana Quinoa Breakfast Cups

Ingredients

• ½ cup applesauce
  • 1 cup mashed banana (about 3 bananas)
  • 1 banana for slicing
  • 1 cup cooked quinoa (about ½ cup dry)
  • 2 ½ cups old-fashioned oats
  • ½ cup almond milk
  • ¼ cup honey
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 apple, peeled and chopped

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a muffin tin (I use olive oil).
  2. Cook the quinoa. Bring ¾ up water to a boil, pour in ½ cup dry quinoa, reduce to a simmer until fluffy—about 12 minutes.
  3. Mix applesauce, mashed banana, almond milk, honey and vanilla in a bowl.
  4. Mix dry ingredients (quinoa, oats, cinnamon) in a separate bowl. Slowly stir the wet into the dry until fully combined.
  5. Peel core and chop up an apple. Mix the apple chunks into the bowl.
  6. Fill each of the muffin cups to the top with the quinoa mixture. Add a banana slice or two to the top of each.
  7. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
  8. Let cool for 5 minutes, then enjoy one warm!

Notes

Store in an airtight container in the fridge. Reheat leftovers in the microwave before eating. You can also add some crushed pecans or walnuts to these--experiment!

Make a batch and eat them all week for breakfast or as a post-workout snack. They’re definitely best warm, but can also be eaten cold on the go. :) Apple Banana Quinoa Breakfast Cups

What’s your favorite way to use over-ripe bananas?

signature

Comments

1. Quinoa breakfast cups… how smart! The only thing I don’t have in my pantry are the oats, so I wonder if I could use extra quinoa?

My favorite thing with over-ripe bananas is to make banana bread, but sometimes I’ll just slice them up and put them in the freezer for a future smoothie. I love that because it gives them just a little extra shelf life and when I make the smoothie, I don’t need to add any ice.

• I love that, too–I always have a little baggie of banana slices in my freezer. :) You could just use quinoa, the texture is just going to be a little different (probably not as sturdy).

2. These look perfect for those early mornings when there’s not enough time to make breakfast, but something warm is necessary. My over-ripe bananas always go in smoothies – I have so many of them I’m more worried about running out!

3. I’ve been thinking about making banana bread all week, this was perfect timing!
    In the oven baking, as we speak!

4. These would be perfect… I love banana bread but this would be a great on the go option!

5. Loving this combination, and love its versatility between eating like a muffin or heating up for oatmeal!

6. oh yum. i love any way to integrate banana :) might have to make this tomo!

7. This looks so yummy!

xo Jennifer

8. Yum!! Do you think these would freeze well? They would be perfect to mix up and freeze before our baby girl comes!

9. I slice over ripe bananas into my morning oatmeal with some blueberries, chia seeds, cinnamon and flax. They mush up and act as a natural sweetener! Awesome in these frigid temps (we have been averaging -15 to -20 as of late….f -ing ridiculous)!

10. hey nicole, do you now how mutch calories are in 1 muffin ?
    greeting from the netherlans kelly

11. Lauren Majdosz says:

These look really good. What do you think could added to these to up the protein, though that could still be baking friendly?

It’s too funny that you wrote this post because I have been trying different things with my super ripe bananas too. My frozen banana bag was getting pretty backlogged. Lately, I’ve been making banana- peanut butter overnight oatmeal and using it for flour-less pancakes – so good!

12. This recipe was amazing! I’m a new reader and I cant wait to read more of Pumps&Iron! Love the blog so far!!

13. Ramiro Gonzalez Cantu says:

Very healthy Recipe, thanks for all the Team, well done.

14. In the ingredients list it says 1 cup mashed banana, in the directions it says 2, which is correct?

15. These were delicious! I didn’t have an apple so I threw in some frozen berries (Blueberries, Raspberries) and added a bit of cloves, nutmeg and ginger. (Just a pinch) Absolutely amazing!!!

16. How many calories are in each serving?

17. Just made these — so delicious right out of the oven!!

18. Do you think you could substitute coconut oil for the almond milk? I myself am not dairy free so I don’t buy other milks, but I’m making these to take to a group with people that ARE dairy free.

• Hmm 1/2 cup might be a little too much for a 1:1 swap with coconut oil–maybe just do 1/4 cup coconut oil and 1/4 cup water? Let me know how the substitution works if you try it out!

19. Tonia Zev says:

Hi. This may be a silly question but are you using a regular muffin pan or a mini muffin pan? Thanks.

20. Carolyn Chung says:

Made these cups – quite dry, found there was not enough wet ingredients to bind the dry ones. Delicious smell when they were baking. Good for using as a granola in milk.

• Try swapping the quinoa:oats ratio–1 1/2 cup oats 2 cup quinoa. This is how I made them the first time and they’re super moist, but I found they fell apart, which is why I ultimately adjusted the amounts. Hope that helps! :)

21. Omg these look fantastic! Definitely making them today. I noticed in another comment someone mentioned freezing them. Did you ever try that and see how it went?

22. Was craving some dessert so I made these and added walnuts, dried cranberries and some chocolate chips…so good! Thank you for sharing this recipe, it’s delicious and even better for being gluten free! I am already looking forward to having another in the morning with some vanilla Greek yogurt. I’m a new fan of your blog!

23. Michelle says:

Any idea what i could sub out the banana for? Not a fan…. double up on apple and add some berries maybe.

24. I made these this morning according to the recipe and they were good, but not as flavorful as I liked, so I made a second batch and added puréed pumpkin along with the apple sauce, some walnuts, raisins and apple pie spice and OMG!!! This is definitely a keeper. Thanks for the great recipe!

25. Becky led me over here..and I’m so happy she did! :)) These are amazing little things right here! Making them as soon as I make applesauce (which I’ve been planning to make anyway) lol Thanks so much for sharing! x

26. Jessica says:

I’m not very good at exactly following a recipe, but I followed it pretty closely. Didn’t have applesauce so I used peaches in mango gel. Didn’t have almond milk, so just used regular milk. I also had a half cup of cut up strawberries in the fridge and a few tbsp’s of mini chocolate chips (that melted when I added the hot quinoa). “Muffins” in the oven now. Batter tasted great, can’t wait to try em all cooked up!

27. Christina Carey says:

Hello! About to try these the first time, but was curious if you are “mixing” with a mixer or just fork stirring? Minor detail can make a big difference sometimes!

28. Hi! Did you mixer or just fork stir? About to make these!

29. Sounds delish! Don’t forget- these can be made gluten free also, with gluten free oats! Yum!

30. What can you use instead of the milk? Want to make fora vegan guest.

31. Reciperouter says:

They are delicious!! My mom and I are trying to eat healthy and find good alternatives!! And this hit the mark! Great for a quick breakfast! I highly recommend!

32. Just made these this morning and they were great! I had no problems with them being dry or falling apart. Next time I’m going to add some dried cranberries or nuts. I also used regular milk with no problems. So glad I found your recipe!

33. What kind of applesauce did you use?

• I’ve made these several times using different applesauces (I just grab whatever’s in my pantry) and they turn out great each time, but unsweetened applesauce (one of the Whole Foods brands) is probably my go-to

Share Your Thoughts: