I’ve got a busy teaching day today (12pm Power @ Burn and 5:25 Row, 6:20, 7:20 & 8:15 Tone @ Btone if anyone wants to come play!) so I’m just popping in quickly on the blog to share this super easy slow cooker butternut squash soup recipe I made the other day.
I freestyled the whole thing, basically just throwing a bunch of random stuff around my kitchen into the crock pot and hoping for the best, and the result was a delicious, filling soup that Joe and I have been eating all week.
- 1 large butternut squash (pitted, peeled and chopped)
- 2 large apples (peeled, cored and chopped), I used Honeycrisp
- 1 yellow onion (peeled and diced)
- 4 large carrots (cleaned, stems removed and chopped)
- 4 large stalks celery (cleaned, ends removed and chopped)
- 1 box low-sodium vegetable broth (about 4 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 - 1 tsp nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste (I usually am super generous with the pepper!)
- Put everything in the slow cooker on high for 3-4 hours or low 6-8 hours. Squash should be soft and easily squished with a fork.
- Transfer to a blender (you'll probably have to do this in two batches) and blend until fully combined. If you have an immersion blender, it'd probably be easier to use that right in the slow cooker.
- Serve warm. I like to top mine with croutons and parmesan cheese!
Before I get yelled at for classifying this as vegan and gluten-free, yes, I’m aware that the cheese and croutons in the pictures don’t fall into that category. I’m just talking about the soup itself. 🙂 If you meal prep each week, this is an awesome one to add to your plan! It makes a huge batch of soup that you can store in the refrigerator and reheat all week long for a quick lunch, dinner or snack.
What’s your current favorite slow cooker recipe? My oven is broken so I’m in desperate need of slow cooker and stovetop ideas!